Friday 5 February 2016

Travelling after age 50



"Aging is not lost youth but a new stage of opportunity and strength." Betty Friedan
Traveling is termed as the best mode of education that one can get. Visiting new places, discovering new cultures and mingling with strangers bring about a new flavor in life to otherwise mediocre life. Going on a vacation once in a while rejuvenates a person’s mind. Holidays are exciting and fun to anyone irrespective of his or her age and gender. Still, there are hundreds of people who say that traveling is not for antiquated people but for people below age 50. However, I can give them, if not hundred, but a few reasons why I should and can travel after age 50.
Abundant Time:
I have an invaluable gift in my hands right now that I had longed for all these years. It is Time! My childhood years had gone in learning; youthful years had gone in making mistakes and correcting them and adult years had gone in planning for retirement. I had learned lessons, enlightened from my mistakes, worked hard for good life, and finally retired. I have no tasks ahead unless taking care of my health. This is the time where I can live my life; this is the time that I have completely all by myself. There is no one to control it or to schedule it. Traveling is the best recreation anyone of my age can have.
Fewer responsibilities, less distractions:
My children have grown old enough to take care of themselves and there are no deadlines to meet in order to finish a work. I mistook life to be a continuous struggle as it was, during my working years, entangled in routine torments and when I have come to a halt at this age, I realized those moments were just result of my circumstances. Now, the time has arrived where I no longer have the same distracted life and enjoy a more fulfilled life. Going on a great trip opens up my mind to new avenues of gratification.
Form of relaxation:
Senior age is the age of relaxation. The old age is not just for leading a life occupied with a series of medicines intake and monitoring of blood pressure or glucose levels. Relaxation is attained not with medicines and normal health reports but with activities that keep mind afresh and calm. Through traveling, I will get to experience abatement in anxiety and stress. Journey to spiritual places usher me into new concepts that I never knew before and can be incredibly liberating and exciting experience. When the mind is in an absolute tranquil state, can there be a better form of relaxation?
Luxury affair:
Many consider getting old is dead end but actually being a senior citizen is a boon. Aged citizens have multiple benefits in various countries and tourist places. Most of the countries provide discounts on tickets for people over certain age limit. There are a numerous travel destinations where elderly people are treated with special attention. Sometimes, a senior citizen tag allows me to jump the queue at ticket counters. Some famous tourist places also provide special means of transport to older people for sightseeing of the place. Without getting strained or energy drained, I can have a complete excursion at such places. How cool is it!
Fitness mantra:
Exercise is something that keeps your heart rates active and health indicators under appropriate units. Traveling is also a type of exercise. A person who is touring is always on the go getting the adequate exertion that is needed. When I am traveling, I indulge myself in mindful eating instead of excessive eating because of the fear of getting sick for having food at new places. This fear puts my weight under control and continuous moving from one place to other provides my muscles the necessary movement, which is not possible if I stayed at home after retirement. At old age, your body has to be constantly in motion otherwise it will lose its flexibility.
Second Honeymoon:
Going to an exotic place with my partner revitalizes the ripen romance. Honeymoon is only for the newlyweds, is a statement of fallacy. Revisiting the honeymoon places bring back those fond and love filled memories. The experience revives old anecdotes and strengthens the bond between the partners. Even couples with troubled relationships, when go on a second honeymoon sort out the differences between them and return with renewed love for each other.
An idle brain is the devil’s workshop:
Retirement from work does not mean sitting at home doing nothing. Inactivity if encouraged leads to torpidity. When the brain stops utilizing its capability to full extent, it starts developing health issues related to memory and brain functionality. The chances of these perilous diseases affecting the elder population are higher if they practice sedentary lifestyle. When on a voyage, brain cells operate in a way similar to that when solving a puzzle. Searching routes on maps, exploring the new place and understanding it boosts the brain nerves keeping you and your health away from becoming humdrum and unhappy.
As they say it, Age is just a number and it is never too late to realize our dreams. Traveling is passion for many but due to non-specific presumptions and apprehensions; most of them are unwilling to step forward. If you maintain a healthy regime and take medications on time, traveling is not a herculean task. Leave behind the uncertainties and have a holiday! Happy vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment